Our Sustainability Report
Since 2015, KiRiVOO has had the same goal - to create sustainable and ethical designer apparel for a classy, thoughtful and strong woman. As a sustainable apparel company we embrace our collective responsibility to take care of the Earth and secure a sustainable future. Our Sustainability Report is here to demonstrate our commitment to sustainable development and to the practices that we are implementing to reduce the impact our operations have on the planet. As a start-up, we are yet small but dedicated to learning as we go.
BIGGEST GLOBAL RISKS THAT WE ADDRESS:
- Greenhouse gas - textile production produces 1.2 billion tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions annually, and that is more than those of all international flights and maritime shipping combined. If fashion were a country, it would be the 4th largest CO2 emitter in the world that is effectively undermining global efforts to address climate change.
- Waste - 80% of all discarded clothing goes to landfill or is incinerated. 35% of supply chain materials currently ends up as waste.
- Chemicals - conventional cotton farming uses high levels of pesticides and toxic chemicals that seep into the Earth. Around 20% of all global industrial water pollution results from the dyeing, treatment of textiles. Dyeing and finishing of textiles, including cotton, can require as much as 200 tonnes of water for every tonne of textiles produced. Read further here.
- Poverty - cotton farmers in developing countries (including India and China) live in hardship. Cotton is vital for the survival of many low income countries in Central and West Asia and Africa but the challenges range from the impact of climate change, poor prices for seed cotton, through to competition from highly subsidised producers in rich countries and poor terms of trade. Read further here.
- Water - according to a report by the World Economic Forum, the water crisis is one of the greatest global risk in terms of impact to society. Cotton production makes up 69% of this overall water footprint, with 1KG of cotton taking as much as 10,000–20,000 litres of water to produce. The majority of this water footprint comes from cotton farming. Read further here.
THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS set by United Nations are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. Today, the actions that KiRiVOO takes are mostly guided by the following goals:
- Goal 3 - Good health and well-being
- Goal 6 - Clean water and sanitation
- Goal 8 - Decent work and economic growth
Goal 12 - Responsible Production and Consumption
- Goal 13 - Climate Action
- Goal 14 - Life below water (avoid plastic bags)
- Goal 17 - Partnerships to achieve the goals
OUR VISION & MISSION:
We dream of a better world where fashion is fairly made and has almost irrelevant environmental impact. Our vision is to preserve the health of our planet and enable consumers to live a beautiful and sustainable lifestyle – buy and share thoughtful apparel that has the lowest environmental footprint, is safe, ethically and well made.
We are on a mission to make sustainable fashion more accessible by building an international D2C shopping and renting destination for women, men and kids, and support global movements towards an eco-conscious, fully transparent and zero waste - circular and sharing - fashion industry.
OUR KEY ACTIONS BEING IMPLEMENTED TILL TODAY:
- Use certified organic cotton, organic peace silk, recycled and other environmentally friendly materials. We take extra care to protect the environment by using only certified textiles (GOTS, ECOCERT, FWF) and dyeing processes (Standard 100 by OECO-TEX) that comply with the highest standards of ecology and sustainable development and do not consist harmful substances;
- Reduce waste: (1) produce on-demand, (2) reuse, donate or recycle all our leftovers and (3) buy stock leftovers from fabric manufacturers whenever possible;
- Follow ethical trade by making sure all our partners are treated fairly and with respect, and that they have a good working environment. We have launched a Caring Practices Campaign that seeks to recognise the talents behind KiRiVOO’s production;
- We support transparency. We link to our suppliers list under each product card;
- Promote sustainability practices within the organisation and communicate and implement it at all levels within the workforce;
- Teach consumers to live sustainably - buy less, choose well and make it last. Pluss our Founder is writing a sustainable business blog;
- Partner for improvement and sustainability. We have joined the Fashion Revolution movement to educate people to think differently about what they wear and help to push the whole fashion industry to become more transparent. We have collaborated with Pure London, United Nations, Common Objective, Ethical Brands Directory and Conscious Fashion Campaign to drive change towards a better fashion industry;
- We use recycled materials and craft paper for packaging, flyers, business cards, tags, bags etc.
OUR KEY SUSTAINABLE OBJECTIVES:
- Focus on long term sustainable goals and make KiRiVOO’s sustainable fashion more accessible to consumers.
- Reduce the adverse social and environmental impacts of our products and make sure these are made in the right/better way and manufactured under ethical conditions throughout the supply chain. As well as, aim zero to landfill.
- Push the whole fashion industry become fully transparent by making sure all our partners are treated fairly and with respect. As well as, help people understand better and value higher all of the efforts that go into making every product.
- Take care and act for the benefit of society, economy and contribute to environmental causes.